Sassy Dots

Friday, January 27, 2012

Look out Pickle Barrel Cajun Seafood Pasta to die for

I've been a little neglect this week with my meal plan. I can tell you that we did stick to our plan with a little shuffling. Unfortunately we had to put our beloved dog down this week so I can admit that I wasn't up to doing much of anything including eating or cooking.

Here's the meal plan for the past week.

Monday- Cajun Seafood Pasta
Tuesday- Sloppy Joe with coleslaw
Wednesday- Fantastic Chicken with rice and peas
Thursday- Chimichangas
Friday- Pulled pork

Monday we were invited to dinner at my dad's so we pulled the cajun seafood pasta. Wednesday was a bad day, I can't even remember what we had. Fantastic Chicken was pushed to Thursday.

I pushed myself to get back at it today after doing not much of anything, and figured the Cajun seafood pasta was as good a recipe as any... that and the whipping cream was going to go bad.

I read the recipe K found on all recipes and I was less than impressed. Even less impressed when I read the reviews. So I decided to go it alone.

2 cups of whipping cream
1/2 cup 2%
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning (again I used creole because I just like the taste better)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup of Kraft Parmesan cheese
1/4 lbs of shrimp peeled and deveined
1 can of crab meat
Spaghettini noodles

1. Place whipping cream in a medium pot on medium heat. Heat until just before boiling. Add salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and garlic. Allow to simmer for 5 mins. stirring frequently.
2. Turn heat down to low. Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Stir frequently for 5 mins.
3. Cook noodles. Place raw shrimp in white sauce. Allow shrimp to cook through until no longer translucent.
4. Drain noodles, return them to their pot. Add crab meat to the sauce allow to heat through 1-2 mins. Pour 2/3 of sauce over noodles, make sure all noodles are evenly coated.
5. Plate noodles, top with the remaining sauce dividing it equally between plates.

With the addition of some julienned zucchini, and carrots, this would be a pretty close contender to Pickle Barrel's Jumbo Shrimp and Lobster Pasta. Of course you could add any seafood you like. Substitute crab for lobster, add some scallops.

We give this meal a 'solid 7.5' says K. It's a tasty dish, quick to make even after a day at work, it is a little pricey, so I would probably drop it to a 7. But overall a keeper!

Really me,
Executive Chef
Nik

No comments:

Post a Comment