Sassy Dots

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Weekend of cooking II

K and I had a nice romantic dinner last night. Though Demi did share in the pasta she made in the form of linguine.

Some of the recipes I read called for wonton wrappers instead of pasta. Somebody suggested doubling the wrappers to give you more of the pasta texture. Since I have a pasta roller, I made my own.
The pasta recipe I used can be found here, only I doubled the recipe. The trick to pasta is letting it sit after mixing for about 30mins to come to room temperature, and to take your eggs out ahead of tie so they are also at room temperature. I mixed my pasta in the bread maker, which also warms up a bit. That made life extra easy!

Crab Filling

1 can (4-6 oz) of crab meat
1/2 tub of marcsapone or ricotta cheese
1 tsp of italian seasoning
or
garlic, onion, basil and oregano to taste
salt and pepper to taste.

Drain the crab meat and keep the liquid aside for the tomato sauce. Combine all ingredients. Store in the fridge until you're ready to use it.

Creamy Tomato Sauce

1 can of diced tomatoes
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic (or as many as you like)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp butter
basil, oregano and thyme to taste
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar or honey

Saute the onion and garlic. Once golden brown add tomatoes, crab juice, basil, oregano thyme and salt and pepper. Let simmer for about an hour so that the juices reduce. Use an immersion blender to puree the tomato mix. You can completely puree the tomatoes, or leave some chunks, whatever you prefer. Add butter and cream. Simmer for another 30 minutes.

To make the Ravioli I rolled out 2 flat sheets of pasta...err. Demi rolled them out. I used a small cookie cutter with a scalloped edge pressed gently into the dough just enough to leave the imprint of the outline. Then I placed about 1/4 tsp of crab in the middle of each ravioli. Use water to wet the ravioli around the edges. Place another sheet of dough on top, press down around the filling to seal the dough together. Then use your cookie cutter to cut out your ravioli. Make sure to use plenty of flour on the cut out pieces to make sure they don't stick to each other.











Really me,
The Chef
Nik

No comments:

Post a Comment