Sassy Dots

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Nice Things

Like many people today I am Frugal. Always have been, always will be. I come from a long line of frugal people. My Nanna being the grandmother of all things frugal. Tack that on to being really good at materializing what she wants, and you have one heck of a lady! Many many many things in my house, and double that in hers have come from garage sales, church bazaars, the side of the road, or a garbage pile.

When my grandparents had their catering truck I would tag along during the summer. One day were were doing a call at a warehouse. Having sharp eyes like my Nanna, I spotted a bean bag chair near the garbage bin. "Nanna pull over!" I yelled. What 14 year old wouldn't want a wicked cool blag bean bag chair for free. I had to beg them to let me take it, and remind them how many items they picked up behind these warehouses... why couldn't I have one! Sure enough we kicked around the bean bag to make sure there were no holes. 13 years later and I still own it.

Last weekend K and I were driving to breakfast on Saturday morning. There was some slight drizzle as we drove down the back streets. When out of the corner of my eye I spot a rolled up carpet. Just what we need for our newly painted entertainment room! "K" I said, "Can we come back from breakfast this way and grab that carpet?" He looks at me, only slightly disgusted "But it's raining" he says, "It's in the garbage for a reason" Then looking to see if he's getting through to me "It's probably got a disgusting stain"

I look at him, lower lip in the pout position.
"Why don't you ever let me have nice things!"

Really me,
The garbage picker
Nik

No comments:

Post a Comment